Monday, October 18, 2010

Hooking and Dyeing

don't you love this guy?

he's Mr Hempenstall
by Maria Barton

hooking snowmen
is one of my
favorite pastimes...

He'll be for sale
on eBay tomorrow
(the photo is from yesterday
he's almost done now)
~~~



finally got the

dye pots out over the weekend

overdyed
past failures
and
some as-is yards

the bottom wool is really a
great brown
Tumbleweed recipe
from Vermont Folk Art
dye book

Above that is a dark brown
overdyed an as-is
brown and green plaid

As for the reds...
those were all done
over
previous
failures of dirty snow,
light olives and golds

Once I started dyeing
I realized why I hadn't in so long
...
my dye stash
has some major holes
no
khaki drab
dark brown
terra cotta

why on earth do
I have so many
packages of
Maroon ???

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Love how you did the snowman, you have the best in prim colors. I wish I could dye with you, I can never get dark shades like that.

Debbie

Cathy G. said...

Your hooking is wonderful! I'm beginning to see that dyeing wool is the key to your most lovely primitive colors! Maria Barton has the gift as you do for designing primitive at it's best! I have tried to design primitive and believe me.....you all have the gift!

Cathy G

HomeSpunPrims said...

Love your rug and all those yummy wools. Thanks for sharing what you used for the dyeing. You come up with the best colors.

The Barn Door said...

Cute snowman!!! I will leave the dyeing to others, that's just too much for me!!

Kim said...

Love that snowman. He looks very dapper!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kelley ~
What a wonderful little guy. Please post a picture of him all done.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Jacque. said...

Mr. Hempenstall...how wonderfully prim. I do love Maria's patterns. And, your hooking is always fabulous. Love the woolens, too.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love your dye colors, your cute snowman and that hit-and-miss kitty rug you did!! I may use that pattern sometime ~ thanks for sharing! I'm adding you to my blog list right now ~
Happy hooking ~ Alice

patijane's primitives said...

You did wonders with the dye pots. Your colors are wonderful and so prim looking. Mine usually don't turn out looking that prim. I need your secret.

moosecraft said...

Love that snowman!!! And, of course, the wool looks scrumptious! Nice cabinet too!

Anonymous said...

hi kelley - has been so long. hope you are well. I just love your snowman. perfectly prim...you always do such a beautiful job.
I love Maria's patterns. ☺♥

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love these colors Kelley.....to dye is to love I think. Best regards, Carol at ticklepie.typepad.com

appleberrycottage said...

Love, love, love the snowman! I'll have to check into the pattern, and switch it for punch needle, since I haven't done any rug hooking.
Laura