Saturday, June 29, 2019

Scrappy Hooking


subtle differences

the row on the left was hooked using one wool

the middle row was hooked with two different wools

the last row was hooked with at least 3 different wools


I rarely hook anything using only one wool
whether it's the background, a house or flag
I like the interest mixing different wools creates

each of the wools in the left row is a texture
the blue is also overdyed

using a variety of wools comes naturally to me
my first handwork love was quilting
many people choose a line of fabric
and make a quilt using only those fabrics
to my eyes
it turns out looking like a purchased comforter
as the colors are made to blend well together
there is no spark, no interest
anyone could have made the exact same quilt

when I hook a rug
no one will ever hook one the same
having a large stash of wool
is like having a painter's palette
use this color, mix that color


all the same wool
ho hum to my eyes


a little better
but not much interest


this is what I love
mixing different shades of the same color
sometimes adding a bit of something different
rust with the red
gray with the tan
teal with the blue

So that's it
when it comes to wool
the more variation the better in my eyes

*******


how about an update on my No Spend on Supplies year?

I broke down and bid on 2 kits by Notforgotten Farm
you know I love me some Lori B designs!!!
that were donated to the Mango on a Mission auction in May
thank you to one of my followers
for donating them 

last week the binge shopping continued with a new
wool dye book

that's it this year...less than $75 all together
is it okay if I pat myself on the back?
there is so much on my wish list
but even more on my 
"already in the house I want to stitch or hook" list

Happy Saturday!






5 comments:

Maria said...

Love the one on the right. That’s the way I hook as well. I once hooked a dark background on one of my rugs with more than 30 different wools.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Isn't that a great dye book? Haven't usd any of the recipes yet, but it is so beautifully put together.
Thanks for the scrappy advice. I almost never use just one wool for backgrounds, but often do for motifs.
Happy 4th to you 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Jacqueline said...

Really appreciate your sharing the insights on mixing wool colors. Seeing the pictures helps. And you deserve more than a pat on the back on your spending restraint.

acorn hollow said...

Nice tutorial. I took the 6 month pledge and I am happy to say I passed I would like to go a year without spending on hooking supplies. I have so much as it is.
Catgy

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Kelley,
Your kitty picture made me laugh out loud!!!! Sooooooo cute!!!!! Meow!!!!
Love seeing your rug color "tutorial" and I do the same thing when I work of punch needle designs or rugs (even though I haven't hooked one in a while)
but seeing your examples is really helpful!!!
Congratulations on your no spending pledge and your little slip was well deserved!!!
Hope you have a wonderful 4th, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo