Saturday, October 4, 2008

Olivia's Prison Break

Jacque and JoJo and everyone who missed it...I know I posted it somewhere but it may have been on one of the groups...Olivia tore the screen out of the frame and was in the backyard a few weeks ago...

She must have been working on it for a while...there is usually an ugly orange velvet type hassock in front of the door to the deck...the cats love it though so it stays...Chester sleeps on top and Olivia would go underneath and sleep in front of it along the sliding door frame...apparently she wasn't sleeping in the sun all the time...she was working on her "Escape from Alcatraz..."

I'm ironing my scrubs right before going to work and I hear her talking...so I call to her ands she meows back, sounds close by but I can't find her...and it's a different sort of meow...then Chester starts racing around the house from window to door to window (what he always does when he sees a cat outside)...I'm calling to her and can't find her...

I go past the screen door and decide to look under the hassock...ah-ha, big part of the screen pushed out...then I see her in the back yard...

It takes at least 15 minutes of me chasing her around the yards...front, back, a few next door neighbors...she's up and down trees, pouncing on sticks, running behind shrubs, over decks and porches...she was having so much fun she didn't know what to do first...of course she would come to me and stay just out of grabbing distance...finally lured her over with a stick...

All the while Chester is sitting by the open part of the screen door like the very good boy he is just watching the action...no way was he going outside and getting in trouble!

They are not allowed outside and they've each had their prison break...his was about seven years ago when he popped the same door off the track in order to get at a cat outside on the deck...they were making such a racket I got there in time to see it happen and lured him back in within a minute or two...felt like hours...my heart was pounding so hard I almost called 911...

2 comments:

Jacque. said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Kelley Girl!!! I would have been in a complete panic...course, if the escapee knows that...forget it! But, whew...you got her back in safe and sound. I applaud you for keeping your cats inside.

On another note (dog), Tag went out the big garage door one day when I forgot it was up. Just bolted, but then went in front of the house and sniffed around. I, calm person that I am (NOT), said in a quiet voice, "Come on, Tag...let's get a treat." Lucky for me, he found the idea of food most enticing and in he came! whew. Scarey.

That Olivia...what a little stinker...plotting for weeks on how to escape from her wonderful home. Ya know what they say, though..."the grass is always greener". Apparently, she was listening to that voice instead of the one that says, "outside can be a big and dangerous place!"

Thanks for filling us in!

JoJo said...

Kelley, I think I would have had a stroke! That bad, bad little girl. I don't let my cats outside either (outdoor cats become roadkill) but have 2 who would love to make a break for it. I'm counting heads all the time. Cricket made it out the door once but I caught him in the front flower bed.

I'm so glad Chester decided to stay put and even more relieved that you were able to catch Olivia. It sounds like she thought she was having a good time, playing around like that, and I'll bet your heart was pounding.

Thank God she's back inside and safe! Good grief, I hope she doesn't try this again.....EVER!