Thursday, June 27, 2019

Finishing a Small Rug


after pressing the rug
I do a two rows of a zig zag stitch
around the outside of the hooking
1/2 to 1" away


I round the corners when stitching
then trim off linen close to the stitching



I fold the linen towards the back


whip the edges
about 1/2" before reaching a corner
pinch the linen together


then fold the next side towards the back


manipulate the linen so it's 
as flat as possible
continue whipping the rug


after whipping I press rug again
cut or tear strips of wool to use for binding
I use wool that's a bit too heavy for hooking
because I have a stash of it
use any wool 
any width you like
my width is usually 1 1/2-2"


pin the wool to the back of the rug


I round the corner of the wool strip
very slightly



continue pinning
around the entire back
whip with quilting thread

so
this is how I do it
others pin the wool
then whip the outer edge and wool strip
at the same time
I like hand work
so the extra step works for me

there are many ways to finish a rug
this is my favorite
if it was a floor rug
I would whip over according at the edge first

questions?
just ask

8 comments:

NMK said...

Thank you ...I really like the way you do it , looks so nice !

WoolenSails said...

Really nice tutorial, I always love your finishes on the rugs.
I always roll mine but it tends to wear more on the edge.

Debbie

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Kelley,
You are so sweet to share your technique!! Looks just perfect!!!
Love your kitty photo as always, too!!!
Hope you have a great week, and soon to be weekend!!
Heart Hugs, my friend~
Julie xo

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great info. Thanks!

Prims By The Water said...

Great tutorial! Janice

Saundra said...

Wonderful sharing of your technique. Sometimes when I KNOW that no changes will be made to the border or extending the hooking of my rug I will do that stitching even before hooking is started. It is so much easier to manipulate a plain piece of linen around the sewing machine without hooking than it is when the rug is all hooked.

Great job and can't wait to see the entire finished piece.

Doreen Frost said...

Thank you so much for sharing your finishing. I love it!

:) Doreen

Krissy B. said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have wool that is too thin to hook and it will be great for the back. I knew I hung on to it for a reason.Lol!