Friday, December 9, 2016

Mom Update


"home again"

happy to have the covers off her toes
everyone wants to put socks on her
tuck those feet in

she's feeling awful here
as I am having her sit up before dinner

thankfully my sister was mistaken 
about hearing the Dr say superbug
it's still a very resistant infection
she'll be on daily antibiotic IVs for weeks
but at least she's in her own bed

now to get her to drink
the pudding thick liquid is a great big NO from her

when we talked to the hospital Dr yesterday
she said to her, at this point in Mom's life
it should all be about 
QUALITY of life
if it was her mom she'd let her have water
knowing it could make her worse
but making her happy

it's a concept I agree with
though having a hard time carrying out
if you know what I mean

this Dr also said keep up the treatment
but care more about her comfort

so we are not ready to call Hospice yet
 I can see it in the nearer than I'd hoped future
Mom has been ready to go for a long time
to be with Dad and her Mom

I see too many people in the hospital
back and forth from nursing home
worse each time
living only because of advanced medical intervention
asking to be left alone

I share this because I know
so many others have gone through this with loved ones
and many yet to come

I pray that Mom will come through this
she has been asking me if she's going to die
we have talks when she's lucid

all I know is I sure love my Mom
hate seeing her suffer
have no answer when she says "let me die"
other than it's God's will

it was a long 5 days in the hospital
hoping today she will be in her wheelchair 
sneaking to the water fountain
when I go in...

18 comments:

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

you are such a loving, caring soul....such a hard time for you & mom.
dignity & comfort comes before anything else I think.
xoxoxoxo to you both ~

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lori. I went through this with my dear Mom…and all I could think about was her comfort…God bless you both.

Simply Quaint said...

I do agree....it is a hard decision to face.....but peace, comfort and well being is the up most important for all of you....Kelly you're a good daughter...your mom sure is lucky as you are to have her.....

Blessings
Rhonda

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Dear Kelley,
Please know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers! May you have the wisdom, strength, and comfort you need right now!! You truly love your mom and it shows!!
Sending Big Hugs to you and mom~
Julie xo

SusieK said...

Your Mom has always reminded me of my Mother in Law! This summer we had the same experience with her. She kept swallowing and aspirating the liquids into her lungs which caused pneumonia. The choice became hospitalize her again or just let God take control. We choose God because she also wanted to go home to Dad. It was hard but she got her wish (she was 98 1/2 and swore she would NEVER reach 100)May Gods peace be with you and your family during this difficult time and may He hold your Mother in the palm of his hand. Hugs

Susie

Kim said...

This made me a little weepy as I have walked your path not that long ago. You will do what is best. Keeping her comfortable and secure is perfect.
Hugs and prayers to you both

Rugs and Pugs said...

So happy that the doctor gave you such advice. I worked in a nursing home for 10 years and it was sad to see the elderly kept alive with no quality of life.
Hugs to you and mom. She is so lucky to have such a loving, caring daughter.
Lauren

marly said...

I agree with you. Anything to give our moms joy, bring a smile, provide comfort.

Jacqueline said...

Oh Kelly what a hard place for you to be in. I did not want to let my Mom go but there comes a time when you know you have to. It is still very hard . My prayers are with you.

Cheryl WNC said...

It is difficult to see a parent in discomfort. I hope she feels better soon. Thinking of you.

Angela Tucker said...

Oh, Kelley, I am so very sorry. I know that you will make the right decisions when the time comes.

Cathy G. said...

Oh dear Kelley... makes my heart ache having so recently gone through this. Your mom is so blessed to have you! Sending big hugs and prayers for you both.
Cathy G

WoolenSails said...

I know how hard this is on you and I know you will make the right decision that is best for your mom, when that time comes. But for now live each day and enjoy the time with her and your family. Hugs to you, a lot of us have been through this with our parents and know how hard it can be.

Debbie

cdunitz said...

My heart is with you both. There are no easy answers, only moment by moment decisions. Be kind to yourself...

Mary A said...

We are going through this right now with my FIL. We were faced with the same choice and we chose quality of life over quantity. My FIL also didn't want thickened water and so we gave him what he wanted. He has aspirated but was happy. He will go in God's time and we just want to make him content. It's hard but you need to take care of yourself too. Hugs, Kelley.

elaine allerton said...

So very sorry, kelley,,,, I went thru this with my dad ,,,, sooo hard! You do what u can to make them comfortable, ,,,
Thoughts with you,,,,,

lynnann said...

Morning Kelly....... your momma will be in our prayers
and you also......

as you said.. in God's time...

GOD BLESS..

HomeSpunPrims said...

My heart aches for both of you, Kelley. Prayers for you both as you enjoy every minute you can with your sweet mom. Love and hugs, Lori